Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Suggestions for Writing

I have been asked to make a list of the essays in the Norton Reader that I think are among the best in the book. As I've looked through the book, I can hardly find fault with any of the choices that have been made by the editors. Nonetheless, here I offer a list of the essays that stand out for me as being particularly rich:

Eighner, P. 22
Bettelheim, P. 56
White, P. 82
Didion, P. 90
Wolfe, P. 123
Sanders, P. 140
Atwood, P. 171
Golding, P. 217
Asimov, P. 223
Kübler-Ross, P. 274
Gould, P. 280
Burgess, P. 286
Gates, P. 299
Steinem, P. 354
Ivins, P. 389
Welty, P.413
Rodriguez, P. 492
Orwell, P. 540
Faulkner, P. 563
Carson, P. 568
Petrunkevitch, P.595
Twain, P. 647
Tisdale, P. 713
Tuchman, P. 759
Swift, P. 857
Lincoln, P. 880
King, P. 889
Kuhn, P.928
Woolf, P. 1074


The more I think about this list, the more arbitrary I find it to be. I don't believe there is a single piece of bad writing in your book. I hope you find among my "favorites" here a few choices that help you write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home